Sunday, October 23, 2011

Literature Analysis #2 - The Kite Runner

1. The plot of The Kite Runner is centered around a man named Amir.  The story begins in two half brothers, Amir and Hassan's, childhood. Growing up in Afghanistan, Amir and Hassan were friends. However, a big part of their friendship consisted of Hassan sticking up for Amir, but Amir not returning the gesture.  On one occasion, Amir had the perfect opportunity to stand up for Hassan who was in trouble, but he abandoned him.  This caused them to drift apart, and to eventually not talk at all.  Amir's adult life is ridden with guilt because he feels he acted cowardly, and should have stood up for Hassan.  In order to redeem himself, Amir goes through many challenges to rescue Hassan's son who is living in Kabul's current turmoil.  Eventually, he saves him and adopts the boy.
2. The theme of the novel is redemption.  Even early in Amir's life, he felt guilty because his mother died giving birth to him.  He feels he must impress his father as a way to redeem himself.  Also, Amir's quest to save Hassan's son was driven by redemption.  He felt the only way to redeem himself for his past, cowardly actions towards Hassan was to rescue his son.
3. The author's tone is remorseful.  Throughout the novel, Amir reflects on and regrets his actions.
“Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years.” Amir said this about remembering the alley in which Hassan was raped/assaulted, and he did nothing to help.  “There is a way to be good again.” Rahim Kahn said this to Amir on a phone call to offer him a chance to redeem himself. “A boy who won’t stand up for himself becomes a man who can’t stand up to anything.” Amir expressing his remorse over who he was as a child, and how it shaped him as a man.
4.  Foreshadowing:
- Baba questions whether Amir will gain courage, and be able to stand up for what is right when the time comes.
- Baba worries that Afghanistan will one day be controlled by dictators.
- Assef claims he will get revenge on Amir.
    Diction:
- use of foreign Afghan terms: "babalu" (boogeyman) "Inshallah" (god willing)
- colloquial words: "piss"
   Symbols:
- pomegranate tree: represents being carefree
- cleft chin: represents Hassan and Amir's memories of him
- kites: represent Amir's goals as a child
   Syntax:
- casual, informal style
- "I piss on the beards of all those self-righteous monkeys."

- "I grew up in Michigan. Came out here for medical school. Once you get used to that California sunshine.."
   Imagery:
- "I cried all the way back home. I remeber how Baba's hands clenched around the steering wheel.  Clenched and unclenched. Mostly, I will never forget Baba's valiant efforts to conceal the disgusted look on his face as he drove in silence."
-" I put the kite down and walked into his thick hairy arms. I buried my face in the warmth of his chest and wept. Baba held me close to him, rocking me back and forth."
- "Baba would buy us each three identical kites and spool of glass string.  If I changed my mind and asked for a bigger and fancier kite, Baba would buy it for me- but then he'd buy it for Hassan too."

2 comments:

  1. I have also read this book and loved it. If you liked this novel, you should read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" which is the sequel, but it follows the lives of two females.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dania! :]
    and Ari, thanks for the suggestion! I know, this is one of my favorite books that I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete