Thursday, March 22, 2012

Socratic Seminar Notes

• Mistakes
- children need to make mistakes
- example: even though the child might spill the orange juice, the parent needs to let them learn how to do it. Or they will never learn.
- A person must learn through experience, not just by being told
•Instruction
- if kids are always being told what to do, they will suffer creatively, emotionally, and socially
- free play helps us use our learned ideas
•How do you remix ideas to make them relevant to your life?
-People in school are being taught how to take tests, not how to actually use that information to help them in the real world.
- Makd ideas into something that will interest you, then you won't have to be forced into it.

1a. These concepts can enhance my learning when grades no longer matter because I understand I need to keep growing, stretching, and challenging my mind in order to continue to develop my skills. Just like young children must develop creativity, older people must as well. Perhaps that's why people say adults have no imagination; they no longer had "free time."
1b. These concepts can enhance my ability to master content for the AP exam by seeing the exam as something enjoyable. Rather than having a negative attitude about it, I can choose to enjoy it. Which will make spending time with the material and mastering it much more easy.
1c. I can use these concepts to collaborate an inspire others by doing both previous techniques. Instead of posting an article, I could post a video so it would be enjoyable and then others would be more willing to spend time with it. Also, by sharing ideas we will be developing our creativity together, instead of keeping the information and experiences to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment